?

Log in

No account? Create an account
blah...blah...blah...blah...
I told you so!
chocolate rabbits 
8th-Apr-2006 04:00 pm
tawny frogmouth
A question for my flist because I realised that if I googled 'chocolate' and 'rabbits' it would spit up a ton of Easter shite at me!

We have just discovered that our 6yo rabbit, Mucha (see prior rabbit posts for photos), LOVES chocolate. We're talking, licks his paws, blisses out, love.

The discovery was quite accidental- my daughter was sitting on the grass outside, eating a small chocolate, when he came up to her for a cuddle and got very excited by the smell of the chocolate, attempting to reach her mouth. So she did what any child would do in that situation - she shared. And Mucha gobbled the chocolate down like it was the best thing he'd ever tasted! (which it probably was)

I must point out here, that my kids do not usually share their chocolate with animals - the dog wont eat it - literally spits it out - which is a good thing because it's poisonous for dogs. And they know this.

We've given Mucha peanut butter sandwiches before (leftover school lunches) and he loves them - licks the peanut butter off and leaves the bread! So, of course, the kids tried him with a Nuttella sandwich...

Well, he loved it! Afterwards, he was lying on the grass (on his side) licking his paws and so blissed out that he failed to hear my daughter approach. Then he proceeded to charge around the yard, I assume, having a sugar rush, and chew on sticks (to clean his teeth I imagine!).

What I want to know is - is chocolate poisonous for rabbits like it is for dogs? Or could we treat him occasionally? I am greatly amused to find we have a bunny that loves chocolate. There is a true irony there; specially at this time of yr! ;~P
Comments 
7th-Apr-2006 11:44 pm (UTC)
Oh dear, don't mean to scare you, but it is O_O

http://www.petcaretips.net/pet-rabbit-poisoning.html

Don't feed it anymore :O
8th-Apr-2006 12:06 am (UTC)
Thanks for the link! And Mucha is fine. He's a very tough (and very BIG)old bunny. :~)
8th-Apr-2006 05:59 am (UTC)
Good to hear ^^
7th-Apr-2006 11:45 pm (UTC)
I just read an article about a rabbit owner who had three of their rabbits die from eating chocolate, so I’d have to say that it probably isn’t a good idea to give your bunny chocolate, even in small amounts. Now the above bunnies got into a box of candy, and probably ate way more than your bunny did, but it’s still better to be safe than sorry.
Bunnies also naturally have an extremely low fat diet, so feeding your bun extra fat is not good for it.
I have had many pet bunnies over the years, and the following were always very successful as treats:

Uncooked oatmeal (all my bunnies acted like this was crack. Give in small amounts, though. It’s got a lot of fiber.)
Strawberries
Ice cream (a low fat soy product would be healthier than cow’s milk)
Apple peel, apple pieces
Watermelon (I had one bunny that was wild over watermelon)
Grass, clover, shepard’s purse, dandelion leaves (make sure it comes from fields and lawns that are not chemically treated, of course)
Sunflower seeds (in small amounts due to high fat content)

Fruit and greens should be used often but in small amounts, as too much can give a bunny the runs. (not a pretty sight!) Grains should be given in small amounts because they can have the opposite effect. And it’s better to give your bunny natural treats rather than those seed and grain sticks they sell in the shops. Those things have way too much added sugar, and your bunny will like his grains and such just fine without it.

Hope that helps!
8th-Apr-2006 12:11 am (UTC)
Well, our bunny seems pretty tough. Our friends have gone through several rabbits in the time we've had ours, and most of them died of fright. :~\
Mucha is free-range in our backyard, is regularly chased by the dog (which I believe has actually lengthened his life), and I've watched them playing together when they don't know I can see them. ;~P
He's literally the size of a hare, so we must be doing something right. Thanks for the info though! :~)
7th-Apr-2006 11:50 pm (UTC)
it's poisonous. Things you would want to watch for are increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and drooling.

The caffeine is what is posionous in the chocolate.
8th-Apr-2006 12:03 am (UTC)
Oh, Mucha is fine! He is the toughest (and longest lived!) rabbit I've ever met. He's the size of a hare and is regularly chased by our Kelpie. In fact, I have actually seen them playing with each other (when they don't know I can see them!). He charges at her, then she charges at him, and so forth.

He's also been chased by a couple of visiting dogs - faster than our dog and that's saying something! And one of them made him scream in terror! (Before that I had no idea that rabbits could make a noise!) Certainly if anything was going to give him a heart attack that would have, but he seems hale and hearty and very happy in our backyard.
7th-Apr-2006 11:51 pm (UTC) - Anon Ymous
Anonymous
I tried going to Ask.com and found some not-so-good news. One site says, "Sweets and chocolate should be completely avoided as they build up harmful bacteria in the rabbit gut and can kill." And another does state that it *is* poisonous to rabbits.

But these sites could be wrong, though.

However, just, you know, keep us posted on how Mucha's doing.
8th-Apr-2006 01:53 am (UTC)
I came here through Lauren (lberghol's) livejournal based on your comment about boobies. And I saw the pic. And I saw the review. And I saw your response. And now I have GOT to add you. You, ma'am, rule. :D
8th-Apr-2006 02:06 am (UTC)
not that this does anything to answer your question... but I have a cat that absolutely goes nuts over refried pinto beans.
8th-Apr-2006 04:44 am (UTC)
Am just awake and slightly comatose, so excuse me if someone mentioned this already, but my understanding has always been that it's the dark chocolate that has the worst and most immediate impact, but that milk chocolate, particularly in larger quantities, is bad as well.

(I had a pony who loved peanut butter sandwiches, btw).

8th-Apr-2006 05:17 am (UTC)
chocolate is actaully poisonous to all animals, including humans, but you would have to eat about ten pounds of dark choc at one sitting for it to have any toxic effect. personally, if i ever had to commit suicide i can't think of a batter way!
8th-Apr-2006 08:56 am (UTC)
you may want to try giving the rabbit carob chips .. they taste almost just like chocolate and wont harm your rabbit in any way

Chocolate BTW is actually poison to humans as well .. or so said a study i read .. dont remember where i read it though.
13th-May-2006 04:28 pm (UTC)
Actually (and I know I'm coming into this thread WAY late), I heard of a study once where they showed chocolate is good for humans when it's completely unsweetened--no milk or sugar or anything like that at all. Of course, I wouldn't want to eat unsweetened chocolate, but still...
8th-Apr-2006 10:08 am (UTC)
Hey,

This has nothing to do with your question, but I am considering a pet bunny--any tips, comments, or encouragement? It would be a first pet to a non-pet owner.
8th-Apr-2006 10:52 am (UTC)
I don't know if chocolate is poisonous to rabbits, but that is a cute story. I hope you get an answer soon, so tht you don't hurt him.
8th-Apr-2006 05:03 pm (UTC)
Hey your rabbit is hardcore, chews thru wire cables! Glad to see he got a *brief* taste of the good stuff though!
8th-Apr-2006 11:00 pm (UTC)
I realise chocolate is poisonous to rabbits, but you know what would be priceless? Getting a photo of your bunny surrounded by Easter eggs chewing on the ears of a chocolate bunny. Perhaps white for the contrast in colour (and since white chocolate isn't exactly chocolate). LOL! :-D
9th-Apr-2006 11:21 am (UTC)
I know for sure it's bad for cats. I guess as a rule of thumb I wouldn't give it to any animal. Peanut butter is a little different because it's actually got some protein and isn't nutritionally bankrupt like chocolate. My vet says that as a rule any people food is bad for any animal, unless it's something they happen to eat any way, like vegetables or something.
11th-Apr-2006 06:15 pm (UTC) - chocolate and bunnies
Hiya!

Chocolate contains theobromine and it is not good for rabbits--who have a fairly delicate nature to begin with. I've actually seen rabbits stress themselves into shock. I've copied a summary from NCBI to help you out.

Stacy (microbiologist, Birmingham, AL)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2918109&dopt=Abstract
11th-Apr-2006 10:46 pm (UTC)
Hi, was here to oogle at your art and saw this, I've never had a rabbit but I do have a now 14 year old Golden Retriever that is a chocolate fiend. No we've never given it to her, but she once stole an entire 1 lb bag of Hershey's kisses and ate all of them, I was blamed until the backyard became glittery! She was fine, and has since stolen many a chocolate- never with any problem, and each time she's done so we've either watched her ourselves or, as in the Hershey's incident, taken her to the Vet's. Obviously some animals can handle certain things much better than others, I'm glad to hear that Mucha's ok!
This page was loaded May 24th 2018, 3:51 pm GMT.